Pages

Thursday 25 December 2014

Cederberg Mountains

So.....up bright and breezy for breakfast at Cederberg Oasis backpackers. It's run by a lovely Afrikaans couple, who are pro bikers and very helpful.

I got my tool kit out and tightened up all the nuts and bolts on the Chonda. Cleaned the chain with my brush and some petrol. Re packed my kit and was ready for the next section, 80km of gravel track through the mountains to Clanwilliam. (Good name)

I've put some pics of the tents and backpackers building. I paid 160 Rand for a room with a kitchen, which I didn't use, as I'm "can't cook, won't cook". But I did have a fantastic steak and pepper sauce from the owner.The business, for 95 Rand. The bar was self service, with each guest having a 'Bar Book of Honesty'. Where you served yourself and wrote it down, how cool is that ?

Two large KTM's set off just before me. Then it was my turn, a tad nervous, unsure of what lay ahead. The track was gravel, dust and sand. Which is a nightmare to ride on and very easy to come off on. Riding fairly conservatively, I made my way through the Cederberg Mountains. A valley lay ahead of me, as far as the eye could see. Right upto the horizon. My bike twitching left and right, as I got into my rythem of sitting and standing. You'll see what I mean from the photos. Really impressive, makes you feel so tiny. Just me, the bike and rugged mountainous landscape all around. The track, with shear drops to one side......made more imposing due to the very high winds.

I stopped quit a few times and took pics, so check them out.☺ I'm not in many as I'm alone, and find it hard to balance the phone.

The track seemed to go on forever and a day. I felt myself adjusting to the gravel and, making my riding style more sutle. Then, a bit like seeing a glimpse of Big Foot,  I saw the side profile of something black and on all fours, go into the bush. I had a bit of a, "did I just see that moment". I carried on, had a water stop. Then, as I set off again I saw a troop of black Baboons crossing the track to my rear. Wow !! Not being in a zoo, I looked at the two baby baboons and realised all animals protect their young. Don't we ? One of the adults started to run towards me, so I pulled away slowly. The baboons 50 meters behind me now,he stopped and was distracted by some sort of fruit on the track. So top tip of the day, if baboons start chasing you......off load your apples and pears sharpish!!

As I approached Clanwilliam, the 80 km off road section coming to an end, I came across the local dam. Crystal blue waters, with some holiday cabins at the shore. I'd caught the two KTM's up by now, one can be seen in a pic. I was quit happy with the Chonda, 250 cc from China and holding it's own against the big boys. 😊

I filled up in Clanwilliam, my tank two thirds empty. I'm buying a 5lt fuel can tomorrow and strapping that to the bike. It would seem my fuel, air breather pipe is blocked. And is the most likely reason the petrol is spewing out of my fuel cap, as the pressure builds up. Which is exactly what happened again in Clanwilliam. (Onwards and upwards Rodders).

Following the map Andy gave me at Cape Town Backpackers, I headed towards Calvinia, approximately 190 km away. Tar mac all the way, I thought. Wrong!! 20 km later I was back on gravel and dust. Litterally nothing man made 360 degrees. I picked up speed and confidence, consistently riding at 70 to 80 km off road. When I say there was nothing.....I mean nothing. Bar the odd rogue 4x4 blasting dust all over me.

So here I am in Calvinia. Its a Afrikaace town. Afrikaance being very old Dutch, from 400 years ago. Mixed with new words the settlers made up for the african enviroment, a few English and French words thrown in to boot. Its facinating. Christmas Eve and Day finds me with nowhere to buy petrol. So I did some negotiations with hotel. Which is really not bad at all. I'm paying 220rand a night. (£14ish) Tomorrow I'm filling up and heading to Upington. Which is in the Kalahari Desert. We shall see what the desert brings to me.

I know it's Christmas, but can you please realise I'm doing this, just like when I crossed africa before, in aid of wounded servicemen. Please click the Help for Heroes, top right. £20...come on. Don't our amputee soldiers deserve to walk in the New Year ?

Willx