Pages

Tuesday 26 February 2013

An Idiot Got Bored. The Slow Way Down. Captains Blog...


The route from London to Johannesburg. 2 Continents. 19 Countries.20,000kms.Solo and unsupported.

"Hi" this is me running in Death Valley.


I am an ex soldier and for the past 10 weeks I have been researching and planning this challenge. From
London to Johannesburg on a 125 cc bike. I am doing it in conjunction with Help for Heroes charity.( H4H)  All donations go straight to H4H, and are for our wounded servicemen. Many of whom have lost arms and legs.

Can you imagine that ? Can you help with a penny or two ? It only takes 2 minutes and will mean allot .

London 2 Johannesburg .Help for Heroes Click the donate page.Be a hero for Help for Heroes




 I depart from London on September the 3rd and expect this epic challenge to take between 4 and 6 months to complete. Ewan Mcgregor and Charley Boorman maybe did the Long way Down. Well,on a 125, im doing the Slow Way Down! It is 20,000 kms, across two continents, 19 countries. Over mountain ranges,across deserts. Through vast areas of famine and civil war. All done solo and unsupported.No personal Dr. No " Fixers" at the 19 borders.No armed guards to protect me.And nobody there when I break down. Run out of petrol or water. Lions have me trapped up a tree.Or a snake in my tent. I'm doing it solo and unsupported. To gain your attention and hopefully support.And a donation on the Help for Heroes page on here.  Because this cause means allot to me. I am taking 8 months off work and funding this challenge myself. But i shall be knocking on doors and asking companies to sponsor me. Time will tell :)


Did you really know just how big Africa was ? Look at it again......awesome!!!! ( As our American cousins always say )


 After much research. I have bought the mighty Suzuki RV 125 Van Van from a lad called Zak. A private sale down in the New Forest.Its a 2003. Basically its sound mechanically,but does need a few bits. Having put my case and the reasons for the challenge forward. Mark the Manager and Tom the Service Manager at Suzuki Haslemare, kindly agreed to sponsor me some labour and advise. :) Means allot. Big thanks to them. Very helpful. Check them out here..send my regards.Click here Suzuki Haslemere. .

The mighty Van Van on its way to Suzuki to begin its make over. Kendal van hire kindly sponsored me a Transit van for the princely figure of a tenner.!! Mark was just great. He also linked our Help for Heroes webpage to his website. Take a look and wait 5 secs as the screen changes..Click here.See Kendal van Hire

Me at 7 am looking terrible.On the way to Suzuki.( Still handsome though )...:)  Other companies that have got involved include,a bike spraying company. A graphics company,who have been just great.Big thanks to Daz at Motorcycle Graphics.net. Really helpful and came up with the idea for the flags.(I thought about taking the credit )Ask for Daz at Motorgraphics

He is putting "London2Johannesburg" on the tank and the Union Jack and South African flag,blending into each other. And a "Text2Donate" number on the sides.

He also is providing me a banner to cover the side panniers. This will be in Help for Heroes blue. As will the seat,as Penny at P&P seat covers has sponsored me a seat cover. Very nice lady too Click here P& P Seats ask for Penny




So the bike is coming together and should be all checked out and logo-ed up in two weeks.

 As an ex soldier,I think our servicemen who have been wounded in battle,get used and abused by our government. They are quick to send them to war.But when they have lost arms and legs,they don't want to know.Its why this challenge is personal to me. It's also why I'm funding it and taking six months off work to complete it. ( Not to mention running up Mount Admin daily). If you like what i am doing and why. Please take a sec and make am donation. A fiver, a tenner or some land in Malaga. I don't mind. Its costing me allot of money to do this challenge. And several months of my life.Your donation makes it worth while. Please click to donate a few $ or £'s Click here.. Be a hero ...Help for Heroes please,please donate. Make my hard work, worthwhile.

Will