Pages

Monday 26 August 2013

Buying the kit.20 Days to go !!!!!!

Unlike women, we men don't go shopping for shoes, nails or hair extensions. We go shopping for man toys. These last few days I have been on light duties with The Extreme Stunt Show. As I managed to fracture my left shoulder bone.My main worry is doing too much and turning a fracture into a break. Which would mess everything up.But it seems to be knitting together and another few days, should see the sling come off.

In the mean time I have been on E Bay and buying some of the kit I need for the expedition and the bike.Some of my new gems include a Multi Fuel Stove, Self Inflating 3 Cm mat, Purification tabs,NRG 5 Emergency Rations and cool as, Blue Hand Guards.

Those of you that follow this blog, will know I have put a shout out, on a number of occasions, for kit. As quite simply, my budget is too small. Having lost a major sponsoring company.Well, It never ceases to amaze me this Challenge.

From Army mates I have had Rations Packs donated ( Huge " Thanks " to Wee George Horn ).Im sure he has a Nuclear Bunker,and this is part of his stash ! A Gortex 2 man tent.( Curtisy of Jason till ) A 3 lt Camel Bak and water purification gadget. ( Again from Jason " the legend " Till ). A Gerber Multi tool, which are proper Gucci kit. And that from someone who I have never met. And had recommended to me from another website. ( Providers for Riders). Another " big thank you " to Melissa Hook and her boyfriend.Aka Mark75red. :) And  a possibility of some more compo from a couple of lads who served with 63 Para Sqn.5 Airborne. Now 16 Air Assault.And last night Geof Andrews ( another Army mate) donated a brand new DiD Chain and Sprocket set, for the mighty Van Van. !! Amazing support. Twangs at the heart strings really :)

The reality is, that without the support I have along the way, these past 10 months,this challenge would not have been possible.

So that is most of the major purchases covered.I am still on the look out for the following : Slam Plate, Disk Cover, Fork Gators,Universal Wind Screen,tyre levers,pump and a Solar Monkey Charger. If anyone can help with these items or anything else,please, please step forward.

We finish the tour on the evening of the 8 th September. And I depart @ 1400 hrs. Blindley Heath. Saturday 14 th September.Not having a home anymore, has meant I have had all the donated kit and e Bay purchases, sent a mates house near London.

The 5 days I have between finishing work and leaving are going to be mega, mega busy. To actually go, is going to be a relief in some ways.

I have my fingers crossed someone who is bike savy or a bike shop, will read this and help me give the bike the once over. Anyone help me out ? I have £250 worth of sponsored bike consumables from wemoto. I need to service the bike, change the front pads,rear shoes ( yes it has a rear drum brake ).Green slime the inner tubes.Adjust the clutch a tad and fit the new chain and sprocket.There after, it's brave pill, fingers crossed and go for it.

Some photos of the new kit on it's way to my mates house.Poor Dangerous Brian. His flat is going to be like a Parcel Force sub depot this week. :)

Kit on it's way includes....

Gerber Multi tool..


Was going to be this tent. A Vango Hydra. But will now be a Gor tex 2 man.

Part of Wee Jock Horns  bunker stash.

1 tab per 1 Lt. 20 mins shake and drink.

Runs on anything . Petrol,diesel and oil. Straight out of the bike tank.




So much to do and such little time.I am in desperate need to get this challenge into the National papers, so as to increase donations to wounded servicemen. Which is what this is all about.So all this week, after work, I shall be e mailing the papers and magazines. Soldier Magazine have said they are featuring it. And Adventure Rider Magazine may also do a write up. Fingers crossed.. We have raised over £2,000 and I look forward to seeing the £3,000 barrier broken with the national media coverage.

Sorry so long in coming. Hard trying to fit everything in at the moment. But am chipping away at it all. :)

Will