Pages

Thursday 30 January 2014

Breaking up might be hard. But breaking down in Nigeria isn't a giggle either!

Due to my bike problems yesterday and the Nigerian roads being some of the worst in Africa. I was only at Jebba. No idea how far that is away from Abuja. And when I ask any Nigerian, I get " ooow very far...very far "!! They simply have no clue. They ask why I'm in Nigeria, I explain. "...I came from London,  riding my small motorbike..."  They then say, " so you fly here today"!! Ahhh man. Same every single time.

So having had my carburettor cleaned and ' all good now ', I left Jebba. I was told there were no illegal road blocks on the way to Abuja. Let me tell you, they can't count. I rode through a number. If I can, I'm not stopping for any of them.

One had three guys. No rope running over the road to a plank of wood, with a hundred six inch nails. No,they missed that bit out. And went straight to rifles. Two had rifles, very old or traditional. Totally unrecognisable. I'd even say they were 100 years old. Ruddy great long things. The third had a two foot mashiete strapped to his chest. ' Nice friendly lads '.

The first 100 km or so was very slow. I like the red dust tracks, however bad they are. It's good fun. But when it's tarmac, but with bomb crater sized pot holes. It's just slow,slow,slow. I don't understand how or why. But my exhaust hits my rear tyre now, when going over this sort of terrain. Shock absorber off the XT works well mind. :))

Then the breakdown began. No AA here mind, nobody to call. And whilst I know I'm no author, I assure you, I'm equally challenged with mechanics. Or lack of.

Splutter,splutter. 5 mph and to a halt. My guess its fuel based issue. Carb has red dust in it,I'm guessing. So I had the carb off the bike twice today, middle of Nigeria. Just what you want. And no joy. Sputter,splutter. I managed to get to a small town,come village. And found a shack which was fixing the usual Chinese 125's. I only had 420N on me. But they changed the plug straight away and tried cleaning the main fuel pipe. I asked for the carb. to be cleaned. But English isn't really understood by everyone. Not remotely. Plus I think he was just a guy who could change a chain. But true problems, were beyond him. Whilst he worked away,a crowd gathered. I'm not joking. ...It was sixty strong! !! Sixty. ( I'm not getting my camera out in Nigeria. Plus you just have ' tourist' written all over you.) And for me, that shouts future victim.

The rest of my day was spent at 5/10 mph. The swet pouring off me,as no breeze to cool me down in the enduro suit. Was a bit concerned today. Bike broken,I can't fix it. Middle of nowhere. In Nigeria. Illegal road blocks everywhere. Armed men. And to top the lot, whilst off roading, my water had bounced out my baggage!  So if I'd had to wild camp,I had nothing to drink. And its about 3 litres of water a day you need. Minimum.

I managed to splutter to a good sized town,about 20km from Abuja. I saw a bank,which is rare. Grabbed £40. ( I'm now down to £400 plus overdraft. ) Found a cheap Guesthouse and have organised to take the bike to someone at 8.15 am tomorrow.

On the plus side. Today was day three with just a bowl of rice inside me. But the Guesthouse owner sent me out with a worker to a western style restaurant. I've just had a chicken leg and meat pie. Fan bloody tastic !!! Nailed it in 5. Forget cheap African prices....more than Europe. I just can't eat bush meat. It's what came with my rice three days ago.

So, just another day of challenges. I will be happier when my bikes fixed. I just doubt the knowledge of some of these guys here. It's self taught, standards vary drastically. And they will never have seen this sort of carburettor before. We shall soon find out.

Glad to be in a bed, with a plan and possible solution. So its not all bad. The Guesthouse has intermittent power, as usual. So the pump for water doesn't work. So the maid brings two buckets. One with water. You stand in the first bucket. And by using a bowl, scoop water from the second. And Bob's your tea pot, you've had a shower. Sorry for the photo. :)) Hopefully I shall be camping in the grounds of the Hilton Hotel Abuja tomorrow. :))

Then it's over to Angola Embassy number four !! And try and get that visa. :))

...." this time next year......"

Will.x