Pages

Friday 17 January 2014

Malaria .....again !

Loved it. Special. Great time. Missed it a lot.

I can't afford to take anti malaria tablets for the six months this challenge will take. Its over £500.So I have to get it and then treat it. Artefan is my weapon of choice. I was back on my feet after four days. Today being my first day properly being able to moan. At my usual high standard :))

I'm not going to dribble on about Malaria. It's different for everyone, as there are four different strains. You don't want it, it can kill you. And does bump off over a million people a year !!

So I'm here in Contonou. Benin. Had two days to myself, before my mate Malaria came to revisit. So I've not seen too much. Huge beach mind. And there clearly is money here. In some places at least.

My guesthouse is massive and right in the middle of the diplomats area. The houses are enormous, stylish ,walled and each has security men. The road on the other hand,looks like a building site. No tarmac. Multi million pound homes on rubble streets and no lighting. Why do think that might be hey ????

In part and I will repeat this. ' In part ', due to getting malaria again. I started to question my position. Question what motivates me. Why am I doing this ? And it's still the same answer. My motivator is, donations to my charity web page. They stop.....im going to question my position. It's only natural. Yes,I write this on my phone. Via rare wifi. You read it on a computer. What's new ? Security threats are new. Keeping quite on it. But I assure you I am very much risking my life. I need to see those donations.

Now the meds and malaria don't make for a great cocktail for pure thought. But I want everyone to know, I'm truly proud and great full for those who have contributed. Shown their support and true colours. Touches my heart. It's a great feeling, knowing different people around the world. Are Chipping in. Some with Fuel money,some with donations and some with promoting the challenge. "Thank you".x

I'm not so, " kumby yar ma lord" , with Suzuki GB or the national press. I'm in a tight spot financial myself, thanks to Suzuki GB. Im at £900 to my name. But the Halifax increased my over draft to £1,500. Hopefully that will cover all the fuel,breakdowns,  ( bike not me). Huge visas and bribery. Food n accom as and when. etc etc

My gripe. That despite my best efforts I've not been able to get this challenge into the national media. Without that,donations will be stagnant. As my Facebook come Twitter audience, have all made a donation.

Can you help ? I will carry on...

Just e mail the Sun. The Mirror. Etc.lets show people power. New audience.......new donations. And that's the name of the game here.

Bold enough thank you.

Been out of bed today,getting money for the guesthouse. And ready to exchange my CFA into Nigerian Nairn. 3 to 1 basically. Slightly unsure if my bike will be insured by my policy. I have a african ECWAS policy.Some contradictions on line. I suspect not. And will have to pay a crazy amount at the border. Also got all my clothes washed. For once I didn't do them in the shower. 2,000 cfa to the land lady. Bought some tinned food. ( Take one bloody guess...) washed and repacked all my exped. Kit. Cleaned and oiled my completely worn out chain and sprocket set. And came to tell you....

Monday and Tuesday im sat in the Angola Embassy. 6 am Wednesday morning i will be at the Benin / Nigeria border. I'm going to do my best.

Will.

No pics sorry.