Pages

Monday 11 March 2013

Back to the Future.....a taste of what is to come.


Whilst waiting for the paint to harden on my bike, so the graphics can go on. I wanted to share with you some photo's of others who have done similar journeys. They are not from one particular " Overlander ". And are there to give you a taste of the challenges I shall face.

Remember, unlike most .I am doing this completely solo and unsupported. 20,000 km's across 2 continents. 19 countries. Through the Sahara Desert and vast regions of famine. And finding a way through countries like Mali, that are in Civil War. 28 Western men have been kidnapped and beheaded in the region in recent years. I am not undertaking this challenge lightly.

Take a look at the photo's and we can all wait for my fuel tank paint to go hard. ( Tum te tum..)


Solo.......
 No AA , RAC or ADAC here ! You break down, you fix it. You run out of fuel.....you best have brought plenty of water!


Sometimes there isn't a bridge!



Africa is massive.USA, China, India,Argentina,UK and Europe,ALL fit in her.

Different cultures and ways of life. No Tesco or Walmart here.



 One of the modifications  I will be making to the mighty Suzuki Van Van, is the tank. 7.5 lt is ok for green lanes. Not for the Sahara .


Morocco...the Sahara Desert....no back up truck!
 Gravity.......a harsh mistress. !!


After ridding all day in 120 degree heat, pick up your bike and fix it.

 Washing the bike, Africa style.



It's never going to be the Hilton. Plenty of gods creatures to keep you company at night though.!!




I will have the rainy season half way down. I hear it can turn into 1 mt deep mud.




New meets old.






 So MR big BMW GS......is my little, but "mighty," Suzuki Van Van 125 so silly now ? I will lift mine and you can lift yours..:)





But the Sat Nav. says.....



What a snake bit can turn into. Ewan on Long Way Down had a private Doctor. I have a First Aid kit and my fingers crossed.


Enough said...


Gulp.I have no witty banter for that one.



Still nothing..


You've seen some of the obstacles I shall face. This is the sole reason why. To help wounded Servicemen Most of whom have lost limbs.


Not for all the tea in China.



Lovely countryside mind..



 All for these guys.


  Not for these guys. I can not begin to tell you how much I hate snakes. But i will do whatever i have to do. :)


Angola and Mali are just two countries that have been in conflict in recent years.



 Nigeria in is another country with a large extremist element. That have attacked, kidnapped and murdered Westerners.I shall however avoid the North of the country.


 There are armed gunmen all across Africa. I read most are friendly. I guess i will find out.



A bit of a stocking filler really and to give a taste of what's to come. I am doing this 20,000km challenge for charity. And funding it myself. Please take a min to donate to the charity for wounded servicemen., Click the charity page  DONATE HERE

Thanks. i fixed the Comment box. Feel free to banter away.

Will