Pages

Friday 22 November 2013

Banjul. The Gambia back to Senegal .

Banjul Port........no ferry timings.Just when its full.!!
I arrived at Banjul port for 5 pm. As I'd been told the ferry was some time after that. But there weren't ever any timings. They simply came and went as they could.  I asked if the ferry was owned by British Rail. But it seemed to confuse the poor Gambian lad. :))
It was about 8 pm by the time we got to the other side. And about 11 km to the Senegal border. And the infamous Senegal Duane. ( They even ripe the Gambians off. Even down to taking cups of suger or mobile phones off them.)
Thought i was heavily laden !!
Ok. Boring bit. I bought the new,westerners only, electronic Visa for Senegal. It's €52. But it only comes as ' Ordinary ' 30 days. Not Multiple Entry. And of course I'd entered Senegal via Mafia HQ Rosso. Coming from Mauritania.Then gone into Gambia to get bike and rider serviced. So officially, my Visa was now void. And my Passavont aka Lasser Passer,for the bike had expired. ( A Visa for the bike in effect. Allows import & export. )
" O good " I thought. At the border I cleared the Gambia Police,Immigration and Customs without drama or bribe.
Then over to the Senegal Bribe Squad. I mean Customs. I was tired, feeling ratty and wasn't in the mood for being ripped off and conned again.
Into see the Police first and gave my best " bonjour " and smile. Handed my passport, with invalid Visa over. Saw Senegal were playing on tv...and said " tres bien...ooo ca bon". ( id now used up 50 % of all my French words. )
Left some lovely little angels behind.Fatima i shall be back ..
The copper was clearly trying to watch it. As he looked at my Visa I gave hime my African Insurance Doc. And turned back to the tv..going " oooow "..( a French ooow ).
Blow me,he stamped me into the country. Missed the previous stamp completely.  And in I went. I changed my Gambian D currency to Senegal CFA. At 400 to 5000 CFA. ( a good rate ).
Now it was Senegal Mafia Customs. I thought about it, looked at my Passavont and thought I can blag this when I leave Senegal, into Mali. As I'd paid,but used the extra 48 hrs I got in Saint Luis. Customs hadn't dated the 48 hrs.
So it was two big,hidden,fingers in the air ,as I rode straight past the Senegal Customs office. And into Senegal.
My rear tail light is out. So I was trying to find a place to camp. I went about 50 km and came across a zoo. It was getting late now,but security camp out. I asked if I could camp inside, but was knocked back.
So I kept going, watching the bizzillion bugs splat on my visor. (Riding at night in Africa, is like someone has a insect Gattling gun zeroed in on you.)
One of my better creations. Corn beef and bread.This is my evening meal wild camping!
I went through and then back to a Gerndarme check point. Asking if I could camp next to their car. He actually spoke English ,checked and agreed. But they opened up the walled school behind their vehicle. I promised to be gone for 6 am. And I was in. Result !!
Internet is getting more rare. And I'm about to enter some very dangerous countries. Im doing all this to highlight the plight of wounded servicemen.
So please click the Help for Heroes logo. Top right and make my efforts worth while.

Gambian Ninja.....Par...and Van. Shall be back lads: Mandinka tribe