Pages

Friday 22 November 2013

Pot holes. Begging. And two tanks of fuel..

....two packets of crisps and a pint of lager.
What a day.Up at 6 am,as agreed with the Senegal Gerndarme. As I was finishing packing my kit away,the teachers started to arrive. One lady offering me " Cafe two bob " . ( Remember,  "two bob "was the price of a slave. And means " white man".)
Cafe two bob is great. It's not just coffee,in fact, I've no idea what's in it. But it comes only in black, ironically, and is just the business. Have one if you can.
Off I went,filling up at the petrol station outside. 700 CFA a litre. I'd got 13 lt of water from the Gambia. I was all set and really wanted to push it, and get some good kms under my belt.
I still don't have a map or GPS,but I do Google the route prior and draw my own. Writing the village names down and sliding the list into a pouch on my enduro suit sleave.
Heading north on a dust track,the one I'd come in on. I really tried to push it, going a tad faster than I'd done some 8 days prior. Finally coming to the N1 and heading East towards Mali. Following the old railway line. That runs from Dakar. Senegal.  To Bamako in Mali.


Im guessing, as I'm in my tent right now. That Banjul to Bamako is 1300 km ish. And Karang to the Mali border at Kidra, about 650 /700 km.
knife under tank bag. personal protection.
Here in Senegal, when ever I stop for a water come fag break.Come,let the bike cool down.  The kids are over me like a rash. They are dirty and shoe less. But unlike the poorer Gambians. They aren't smilling and calling out " two bob ",with a smile on their face. They are begging and pushy. What can I do ??Im not exactly living the high life either ! Dinner is served.

another lovely meal
What annoys,is all these African leaders live in plush palaces. Even when the country has no income.Have armoured Range Rovers...by the fleet. All bought with ' aid' money. Whilst their people can't afford food or flip flops. Wonder how many Range Rovers and Landcruisers the 12 ££££ billion the British government gives away bought ??
The road was pretty good at first. But the last 70 km it was pot holes connected to pot holes. The only other vehicles on the road being trucks from Mali. Had to swerve from one side to the other. Just to get through. It truly looks like a Secound World War Luftwaffer runway.After a night bombing raid by the RAF. I've been swerving in and out of them. But sometimes hitting them.Its just unavailable.  They are deep. My rear suspension has taken a pounding today. My front forks both have leaks too.
I've used two tanks of fuel. My main tank is a whopping 5.7 lt and reserve is 1,8 lt. I seem to get 200 km to a main tank. So I must have done over 400 km today. I will check when I get internet again.
I'm presently 30 km north of Tambacoumba. I'm wild camping again tonight. I found a some low ground with good cover. I've just had my fried luncheon meat,bread and water. And all is well. My body feels like it's been in the gym all day. A proper,proper work out. My eyes are heavy as. Will sleep well tonight, all be it with one eye open.
My view as i woke up, wild camping. Senegal bush.
Looking forward to getting to Mali tomorrow. I'm about 150 km away. ( They have the old school road side stone. With next town and distance on them.
Mali is in a bloody civil war at the moment. With armed Muslim extremists,imposing strict Sharia Law upon all. The French army is in their at the moment.

The Mandinka tribe gave me a big "rambo" knife. As they call it. Which, whilst riding, is under my tank bag. And in my right pocket when off .

If you like what I am doing. Please donate by clicking the Help for Heroes logo. If you want to help me; click the Team Fuel button. Im down to £1,500 and will run out before Johannesburg. 


  Hot; hot, hot work this all day.Locals so far, have been friendly.But i wont take my eye off the security ball!

Speak soon

Will