Pages

Friday 1 November 2013

Mauritania. Day one.

Having done around 450 km yesterday. And now some 170 km into Mauritania. I got up at 6.30 am and boiled some water, with a view to showing my appreciation to the Gerndarme National. ( Mauritanian Police.)

I gave one of them a anglais tee..
He was polite, had a sip and returned the glass. Not ten minutes later one of the Gerndarme came to me with a glass of tea.  Wow !! Talk about a nice cuppa. ( well glass.). Tasted familiar somehow. 10/10.Loved it. I'm actually at a petrol station having one right now.  :)

I had a right giggle with the Gerndarme this morning. Neither of us truly understanding each other. But they were definitely taking the mickey out of one of their team and his hair.To which I pointed and said " Micheal Jackson ". ..and did a rubbish moon walk in the sand. Well, their Kalashnicovs nearly fell over with laughter.

Funny how a laugh and a moon walk can cross language and cultural barriers. :)

It's hot here. And it's only 10.30 am.The very strong wind makes for some interesting riding positions. But that's all part of the fun.

Infrastructure wise. The road is narrow but in good order. The people live in wooden shaks, without electricity or running water. ) That reminds me, im down to my last 3 litres).

So far at least, the Mauritanian people have been friendly. I don't know if they are over charging me. But things are not cheap, cheap.4, 000 local currency, bought me 10 lt of fuel. About £1 a litre. A tiny tea is 100 Ouguiya. ( 25p.) Ciggerets are 600 Ouguiya in the desert. ( £1.50 ) But things like Fanta and chocolate are Uk / western prices. ( If you can find them. )

So far so good. Feeling a tad tiered. The Gerndarme check point was busy all night with trucks. And I didn't get done writing the last blog till gone mid night. ( Check point was a squalid brick building and.....a caravan )!!!!

Aiming for the capital now. And will see if I can repeat camping at a Gerndarme check point near there. Leaving me 200 km to the Senegal. Rosso border crossing point. Which is meant to be very corrupt. But I have my Visa already, which leaves the importation of the bike and buying more extortionate insurance. The rough figure per border is £100, for me and the bike. And i have 16 countries to do.Plus bribes of course ! There is no way my money will last to South Africa. Fingers crossed for the odd ' Fuel Tank ' donation. (Right hand side. ) :))))

Well. Took a few photos. Saving these  blogs to Draft and publishing at suitable moments.