Pages

Wednesday 4 December 2013

Global launch of the Suzuki Van Van XT 600 hybrid.

Well "oow bloody la lar ".

Had a 'To Do ' list for today. Find somewhere to get twenty more passport photos. Buy some more tinned food,that cost less than its weight in plutonium. And adjust the chain on the bike.

Having bought a knife off a Toureg tribesmen. Who 'seemed ', I'll say that again. 'Seemed',to speak English. I employed him to explain in French, what was needed with the bike chain. As these guys over here,just potter on slow Chinese mopeds. They simply tighten them to the max. And I couldn't explain, that their was going to be more luggage. ( my tent and sleeping bag ).Going on, the rear axle actually needed to be perfectly straight. And the chain at the right tension, allowing for the future weight increase.

I can't convey how frustrating it is when i can't make my point understood. And.....and...it turned out Soro. Captain English.  Knew about as much English, as I knew French! !!! So there was the mechanic talking in tribal language to Soro. Who did a great job, in translating, to bloody French !!! Mon ami !!! Jai non compronde !!!

I started to get somewhat frustrated. Needed not have. As the good news kept on a coming. The previously broken frame and suspected broken rear shock absorber,turned out to be true. Not just the frame. !!! " oooo ##### la lar ### lar "!!!!

Knowing how rare the Suzuki Van Van shock absorber is in the UK. I knew there was no chance in Mali. They don't even sell the bike here !!

So it was literally 'game over', or make something fit. Bring on to the stage the Yamaha XT600. The shock absorber , longer and the top fitment, much wider,our hybrid ' delux avec le bodge Gti ', started to take form.

We agreed a price, translated wonderfully into French for me. And work began. The top of the shocker was cut by 10 mm. Made more narrow. The chain re adjusted. Fitted...and tad dar !!!! 

Admittedly, the Van Van looks like it's hit the gym. And is giving it 'billy big poatoes'. It's seat now, about 3" inches higher. But....it seems...it seems, to work! ! I've gone two up, over rough ground and all is well.

So fingers crossed the global  launch, here in Bamako,of the Suzuki Van Van XT goes well. It's proving ground is from Mali to the Congo. Angola to South Africa. So one shall jolly well see. :))

Some final bits to get tomorrow morning. Then I'm going cup in hand, to a Army training camp. On the scrounge for. ...well anything they might have :)  namely, boil in the bag rations. I've lost so much weight, it's a bit shocking.

Wish me luck. Triggers 'original' sweeping brush 'springs' to mind. See what I did there ?? Comedy genuis me. :)

And once again. Thank you to Suzuki GB. Who gave absolutely no assistance or support, what so ever. But at this rate, I shall be arriving on a Yamaha anyway !!


Ok. Some pics below of product development. Lol.