Pages

Friday 27 December 2013

Lome

I've had three days in Lome now. My main purpose here is to get an Angola visa. But as they work so hard in these embassies, they needed a holiday from 16 th December to 6 th of January. The Angola Embassy shut. Gutted.

It's the Christmas period. And I wanted to have a western meal and hopefully speak to someone in English. There's plenty here in Africa that isn't all roses and Cum By Yar Ma Lord. I searched for a top hotel. And then went to the nearest restaurant. And to be honest, the steak was terrible. And the service looked like it was a comedy scene. From a book entitled ' How not to act whilst at work '.

Whilst the restaurant was very smart and clean. ( I could have been in London or Paris. ) Plasma tvs on the wall. Air conditioned. And the staff in smart uniforms. The attitude and service was simply shocking.

Litterraly dragging their feet as they walked around. Shoulders rolled forward and never " qui " or " pardon ". Just " uh ". And some of the staff were actually asleep.  Not a very Merry Christmas. And the cost ? UK price and some.

Back to my hotel,where I met a crazy French man. Jean Luke. A really nice character. He was the previous hotel owner. And had lived in Togo for twenty years. Having been disillusioned with Europe. As a personality ? Think white Bob Marley, meets a 90's acid rave party. Funny guy, spoke great English. And was just the tonic. As I was feeling pretty glum. The constant isolation and Christmas alone,getting me down a bit.

Yesterday I went to the Benin frontier. Where according to Lonely Planet,you can buy a Visa. I got to see the first two feet of Benin. And was turned away, no visa's at the border. It's only 40 km from Lome to the border. Imagine if I'd spent three or four days getting there.

So now I am sat outside the Benin Embassy, back in Lome. My Togo Transit visa ran out yesterday. Which may creat problems. And the embassy is closed for lunch. 11 am to 3 pm!! What are they eating in there???  A Barontasourus ??

Been a little disappointed with Lome. But like all of Africa so far. The rural people have been friendly, intrigued and respectful. The city dwellers, for the most part,see $$$$ and a chance to over charge or scam you. I'm constantly hissed at. "Ttttss"....It means "oy you". Its used by someone who wants to sell you something, you don't need. I get it one hundred times a day. And it completely winds me up.

Only two and a half more hours waiting for the Benin Embassy to finish their Barountasourus steaks and Roast Pheasant Volla Vons. I'm guessing I might have to collect the visa tomorrow. Which means I will have over stayed my Togo Visa by one day. " oops " and " thank you,  Lonely Planet Guide ".

Now 8pm. So, after waiting outside Benin Embassy for four hours. Filling in my Visa application forms. Handing over 2x photos. And 10,000 cfa. I was informed they could not issue a visa. As my Togo visa ran out yesterday. I had to get a new Togo Visa from wherever they were issued. Return and they'd give me a Benin Visa. " o what joy ", I thought.

So now I had to work out how to extend my Togo Visa. Where to go and what to do. All whilst nobody in Togo understands my French. ( which I had confirmed by actual real French people, was correct. ) They apparently have the same problem !

I found an American sat in his car outside the embassy. An ' aid ' worker. Awaiting his Benin visa. He provided the location of the Director General Immigration. By now I was dripping in swet,sat in 95 ° all day. Whilst wearing an enduro suit. With one of my hand drawn maps off I went.

The office turned out to be a desk, in a car park. A large group of people just standing around it. Nobody speaks English. But I found a French girl who did. I know what I have to do now. Despite waiting for an hour at a window, nobody bothered to serve me.

Saturday tomorrow. I think the Director General Immigration office is open. 10 am is the  best guess. So I'll be back there then.  Hopefully sort out an extension. But of course the Benin embassy will be closed till Monday. So it will be more hotels I can't afford till then.

Get my Benin visa Monday and move on.

Photos of a Chinese bike I thought was cool. Prices of these bikes is unbelievable. That bike is about 500,000 cfa. Brand new !! Lome beach. Large,long, but with people living on it. And the road to Benin, before I got turned back.

" onwards and upwards Rodney.....onwards and upwards .....".

Will