Pages

Sunday 22 December 2013

.....the changing face of Africa.

Quick one. Please remember, my blog is but a snap shot of what happens. So, so much goes on. Good and bad. I just can never fit it all in. :)))

So onto the capital of Burkina Faso,  after meeting more extortion, at two of Ghana's border posts. I wanted to try to A) try and get some visa's.  And B ) the road from Leo to the Togo border, was close to non existant. My luggage rack, yet again had taken a pounding. The new bolt that attached it to the bike frame, now bent. And the overly large 'style', exhaust, hitting the rear tyre,  whilst going off road.

I had a BBC Nottingham phone interview at 3 pm. And needed to be near a cell tower. I don't ever use my phone,  as a phone. Just camera and i pod and wifi.

Having had two nights in  cheap accommodation. In Pa and Leo. That prisoners wouldn't be allowed to stay in. Decades of filth, flees, mosquitos and even a rat. I fancied somewhere hygienic, but reasonable.

I did the interview, seemed to go ok. Problem was, I had ordered a western meal. My first in weeks. And for comedy value,  it finally arrived, as the BBC rang me.

So to say I spoke quickly, is an under statement. I've only tasted beef once, in three months. And there was my rather expensive pepper steak going cold. :((  Ce la ve.

Checked out the DRC embassy. They wanted 104,000 cfa for a Transit Visa !! Plus bribes and Lasser Passer at the border. "No chance", I'm not paying that. Will try another DRC embassy. Remember,  nothing is standardised in Africa.

I drew my map of my route,  to the Togo border. A distance of about 290 km. ( using wifi ). And off I went to the home of Voodoo! ! Yea...exciting or what ? ( Do they do a doll of Suzuki GB ) ? I doubt if Togo has enough pins !!!

I saw the now usual tribal villages, the surprised faces of the locals. On their bicycles, women with pots and pans on their heads. The children happily playing,yet without toys. Just the odd lucky one having a old tyre and rolling it with a stick.

It was just great to be back on the bike. Really enjoyed it. But due to the admin behind this challenge. I'd not left till lunch time. And day light.was running out. Reluctantly, I found a spot to wild camp. I knew local tribe huts were close. Too close. I have a 1 km away rule, for security. But had to break it, as they were just everywhere.

Camp was made by 7 pm, hidden behind some rocks. And by 8 pm I could hear traditional African dance and tribal singing !! It sounded great. The tribes and their culture are changing. Nothing came of it. Bar my realisation, that I maybe on the same planet. But I'm in a different world.

Africa is changing around me. Gone is the desert. Im entering tropical Africa. Very green and with lots of animals. Time to pay attention. And work with my surroundings.

Uneventful day. Just pleased to be underway again. After bike delays in Mali and then malaria delays.

Some photos of Martyrs Monument. My Will Will gps map. A van with live goats on board. That sounded like children crying. My tent being patched up. Lots of holes for bugs and ants with attutude problems to get in. : ) And bits I saw on route to Togo. Camped 64 km from the frontier.

Next stop. ....voodoo! !!