Pages

Thursday 17 October 2013

Back on my own

Monday I had headed south from Rabat, along the R322, towards Casablanca. Stopping at L' Ocean Camping, near .Mohomedinia. Where I had arranged to meet up with John and Gary, who I'd met getting their Visas at the Mauritanian Embassy too.

Nice camp site, all be it a bit run down. I wasn't too bothered. It had electric to charge my bits up, ( oy yoy ).And free wi fi.Half a dozen folk were there, mainly in desert vehicles.  Either coming from or going to the Sahara. So it was a great opportunity to get information, for what's ahead. Which is now part of my routine. Whenever possible.  And to speak English to someone. And not just be talking to myself and singing in my helmet. ;)

The lads had to run about doing admin. Knowing what that's like and having to pack your tent and kit away. I offered to be on tent watch. Whist John went to the one and only KTM dealer. And Gary sorted his Visa issue out, ,back in Rabat.

The Islamic festival of the lamb, is in full swing. All you see are sheep cramed in car boots,  straddled over mopeds and on the back of carts. They skin them and basically bbq parts. I think i was offered a meal today, at the road side. A guy had three ram heads bbq ing away. But I gave him a fag instead, playing it on the safe side. Gutted, I wish I could speak Arabic. And knew how to say " well done please " ! I can now say " how much " and also, " thats bloody expensive".

Parted company today with John and Gary. They are off to Marakesh. Meeting the rest of their group. So I am riding down the coastal back road. And loving it.

I'm heading to the gateway to the Sahara Desert, some 600 km south of me now. The road is fairly poor and so are the locals. Been through some nice villages and always seem to be getting saluted !!

Just before sunset I pulled up at this cliff. Looked pretty cool. Wasnt sure were I was going to sleep. As I write this and save it to draft. I can tell you, I have no idea of my exact location! ! Pitch, pitch dark, middle of nowhere. Tent is fifteen foot from a small cliff , but out of site of the small road.

Going to actually buy a map of Morocco tomorrow. ( Might be a good idea. As i dont have gps either.)That's if I can find one. Petrol stations here sell....er just petrol !!

Loving rural Morocco and the crack I have with the people.  Even if I haven't got a clue what they are saying.

Check the photos out. As i approach the Sahara Desert I have had another re jig of the kit. My 10 litre water container, on the rear of the bike, is now full. I was riding with just 5 litres in it. But have rebalanced the bike, by moving some kit to the other side. Also, I am riding wearing my Camel Bak. ( Holds 3 liters and tastes crap. As I didn't wash it out properly. )

It's going to get even hoter and hoter from here on in. With only very rare wi fi moments. Which I need,to get my confirmation email from the Senegal Embassy.( Country after Mauritania).

Back on my mobile. So sorry its text then photos. Check them out. And can you make a donation by clicking my Help for Heroes logo. Top right.

Will