Pages

Monday 14 October 2013

Rabat.

Saladi cum

So I set my alarm on Sunday for 8 am. Giving me enough time to pack down my tent and make my way towards Rabat. Some 240 km south.

But I need not have. For the field i was in had some hens and cockeralys. ( Guess where this is going). Not to mention some recently purchased lambs. For the Islamic festival on Tuesday. Well at about 3 am I heard the dolsit tones of a distant Cockerell. Some 100 meters away. Now this cockeral must have been imported from bloody China. As it was clearly on a different time zone and didn't do it's job very well.!! That then made another cockeral, some 50 meters away, kick off. All confused, the damn cockeral in my field must have thought he was late. And he started ranting. All night long, 3am to actual sun rise, cock a blinking doodle do.!!!!!! :))

Via a small Morrocan cafe, where I had ' poilet et Chamawar ', check me out. I made my way south down the N1. Not too bad a road, ,rough in places. That runs along side the A1 toll road. Great countryside, with people living in polythene tents in fields. Where they harvested an orange coloured big fruit. ( No idea, as I am a meatatairian.)


Whilst riding along, I saw a local pushing a three wheeled bike come pick up. I pulled over and said in my perfect French,  "non Gasoline " ? He noded and I did my AA bit and gave some from one of two 5litre containers im carrying. My good deed for the day done, I saw a dust track road running parallel.

Off onto it i went. Wow !!! I filmed it with my head cam.I was pleased with myself and the little bike. Sitting on top of my rolled up sleeping bag. Which sits snuggly behind me. II rode for 30 odd kms, over sand and around massive holes in the once tarmac. I loved it. I beeped my horn at the locals and everyone waved and smiled. I even had a quick kick of some lads football, whilst still on the bike. The next game was to sit on the sleeping bag, put my weight on the handle bars and do a star jump. When ever I saw a local on a moped. Most of them dually responding, with the same manoeuvre.As we rode past each other.





The reason I was heading to Rabat, is to get my Visa for Mauritania. Some 2, 000 km south. So I had the pleasure of my first Hotel in four weeks. Bed, shower and wi fi.Up at 8.00 am thought, no delinquent, time zone challenged Cockerell here. Nothing is simple in these parts. 6 am on the dot and im thinking Ozzy Osborne had just got in. And was on the PA system. Thankfully it wasn't. But next door was one of three local mosques. A bit like the Cockerells, when one started, they all did. Calling everyone to pray.


So off this morning I went to the Mauritania Embassy by ' Petit Taxi '. ( Code for 20 year old Fiat Uno or Peugeot 205.) 30 dr later I was there. Now here's some facts about getting your Visa. As id read some incorrect  info. Take your passport, two photos, two pjotocolies of both the first page and entry stamp and 340 dr. Get a local hawker to fill the forms in, as they are only in French. Pay him 10 dr ( €1), hand it in and collect at 3 pm.Job done, I now have a 30 day Mauritania Visa.

I am now at a camp site near Casablanca. Camped next to me is another Brit and an American. We met outside the embassy in Rabat.They think im nuts. As they are on a Suzuki DR 650 and a KTM 690. Been great to speak English, as its just about zero here in Morocco.

Lol.Still beat them to the camp site.I did have a big head start though . I'm still staying off the main roads whenever possible.




The people have been friendly. It's been a pleasure. But tomorrow is the beginning of five day Islamic holiday. Before setting off, I want to find out the availability of water and petrol. For the journey ahead. 

Remember I'm doing this to raise donations for wounded servicemen. Please click the Help for Heroes logo. It all goes to guys who have lost arms and legs. I got down today over the lack of donations. Less than £300 in the past month.  So please, don't wait for someone else.

Will