Pages

Monday 21 October 2013

The Sahara Desert

Saladi cum

After I wild camped by the cliff face. I continued down the coastal back road. Slightly disappointed with my progress so far, I made sure I was up for 8 am. But by the time I do the daily chores. Making something to eat, pack all my kit away. Re distrubute weight on my bike and get my enduro kit on, its 10 am.


But hot to trot and cranking up those 12 wild horses, I was determined to have a good day. Over 1, 400 kms till the Mauritania border. Most of that being the Sahara Desert.


No mad moments for a change. Great views of the coast, along with climbing up the side of the Atlas mountain range. Expecting to wild camp, I pulled over for a 5 minutes break. Where I met a Morrocan 'Adventure' party, returning from the desert. A 2 minute chat and I was on my way to a cheap hotel in Essouira.. Cost me 70 dr. ( £5.50). I needed to print some locations off of petrol stations and places to get water. So that dropped in nicely.


Ended up having 36 hrs there. A walled, coastal town. Several hundred years old. (See pics). Didn't speak to a sole. But was great to walk about, in non bike kit. And know all my stuff was safely locked in a room. ( Camping, wild or not. That you do not have. )


The landscape is rapidly changing. The earth is getting lighter and more rocky. The temperature, as yet, has not increased markedly.


Having stayed in Essouira, and had enough of being over charged for everything, I moved on. And guess what I met along a lonely road ???
Nothing!!!! No, camels..............and then lots of nothing. Seemed ok with me. :))


The people are friendly, but if there is a wiff of tourists, prices go to what ever they can get. £1 for a 10p packet of rolling papers !!!!! £5.50 for a bottle of Tango, a chocolate bar and some biscuits !!!! Never having my pants down again.


Bit tiered, no compo rations now. Just the water I carry ( 13 litres), a local large Luncheon meat tin and local bread. Supermarkets are long way behind me.


I have a set plan for getting to the border. From here on in. The Police have passport check points everywhere. But i should be at the Mauritania border soon enough. Where a 4 km long mine field awaits me. The morrocan sides Customs barrier lifts, after appropriate bribes are paid. And its 4 kms of desert, ,mined either side. With just " Mines ' on signs to guide you. It seems im a fair bit ahead of the two ' Overlanders ', Gary and John.Who I left on Tuesday or Wednesday. And I will get to the border before them. Lol Talk about the Hare and the Tortoise. They've heard it's a total nightmare from Mauritania to Senegal.  We shall see.


Anyway, feeling fit. Just started riding with my I pod on. I might be slow, but I ride for hours. Lol.


You can find updates on Facebook too. Search " London to Johannesburg ". Press " like ".


Looking forward to seeing us break the £3, 000 mark. I've put everything in the pot. Can you just put twenty or thirty quid ?? Click the Help for Heroes logo. Top right.

Will