Pages

Monday 23 September 2013

Dune Playa

Last Bon Jour....

I left Saintes and headed South West, using the Mark 1 Satnav.(compass). Heading towards Bordeux. I wanted to go around as much of the Piarraneze as possible,  so I kept to the country lanes nearest the coast. Very time consuming, but some great scenery. These roads suit the mighty Van Van. Unlike the Peage roads, where the bike and I are thrown all over the place.

Well, I came across this huge sand dune, called Dune Playa.The largest in Europe. Its 330 ft high. So I decided to camp at the base of it and check it out.

Whilst there I met about 40 University leavers, all on a ......er......get drunk session. Wanting to do my bit for British / European relations. I happily took part. They didn't understand me and I didnt understand them. I sang songs in French, making my own words up of course and did allot of arm waving. Result !!!!

It did however result in me not appearing out of my tent till lunch time. An hour of packing all my kit away and it was always going to be a late finish, to get to the Spanish border. ( ooops ).

I am writing this sat having a coffee, about 10 km south ( favourite  word ) of Pamplona. Spain.

The Van Van has a couple of leaks and gear selection is a problem. Having Googled it. Turns out a common problem is, a spring being put in the wrong way around. From the gearbox sump plug end. Ive checked mine.....and yes, its the wrong way round !!! So nursing the bike at the moment. Desperately need to get to a competant Suzuki Dealer in Murcia. I'm praying that going over the lower part of the Piarraneze, hasn't generated further problems.

Lovely weather. ..or is it whether, here. 29 degrees. Looking forward to seeing an old Army mate, a mate from Radcliffe, where I'm from and the FMX clan. Where I intend to spend some money on the bike.  Getting ship shape for Africa. :)

Find An Idiot Got Bored. The Slow Way Down. ..on Facebook. Search " London to Johannesburg.". And click " Like ".

Check out some of the photos I took on the way. :) " Oooola". :)))))